When I started trying to promote my own artwork online I kept coming across other people's art that amazed or compelled me in one way or another. This blog has been a way for me to practice thinking and writing about art, as well as learning more about my peers and all the incredible art that is being made out there.

Search for an Artist on this blog (or cut and paste from the list at the bottom of this page)

Monday, July 29, 2013

Dan Hillier

"Lunar Seas"


"Diamonds in the Mine"

"Wayfarer"

"Woodsman"
"Child"

Dan Hillier does some very cool collage. Is there anything else I should say? I can't think of what it might be. OK, I'll try. The beauty of collage, as in so many forms of art, is often found in simplicity. Sometimes just two found images recombined in just the right way can deliver an incredible impact. Too much fussing, and too many layers of imagery can ruin the thing. Dan Hillier gets this. His remade imagery mostly from old engravings, tends to lean toward the quasi-mystical with occasional dashes on horror. In other hands such subject matter might look like mere pop-culture new age ephemera but somehow he gets the effect just right. And one other thing... you can get t-shirts and tote bags in addition to framed prints. So, go see the rest of his work at www.danhillier.com

No comments:

Post a Comment