When I started trying to promote my own artwork online I kept coming across other people's art that amazed or compelled me in one way or another. This blog has been a way for me to practice thinking and writing about art, as well as learning more about my peers and all the incredible art that is being made out there.

Search for an Artist on this blog (or cut and paste from the list at the bottom of this page)

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Dan May - 2

I just saw on his flickr page that Dan May is having an opening tomorrow at Rotofugi Gallery in Chicago. So for those of you who may be in that area, and those who may have missed my earlier post of his work last July, here are several relatively new pieces by a master of ethereal surrealism. The feathery detail of his work is exquisite. This is the kind of painting that might actually be kind of frustrating to view at an opening (but don't let that stop you!). The pieces are not large and I imagine would demand up close, personal and lingering scrutiny to be fully appreciated; in other words just the sort of interaction with art that is almost impossible amid the jostling elbows and craning heads at a crowded event (but that's me. I don't even like to attend my own openings).
As far as I can tell he has not yet posted the new work that will be in the show, so if you like these, keep an eye on his website and blog:
dan-may.com






















"The Weeping Tree" 16" x 20" acrylic on wood panel 2009






















"Puff" 8" x 8" x 1" acrylic on wood panel 2009






















"8 Marks the Spot" 8" x 8" acrylic on wood panel 2009

...and an unusual but exquisite bit of realism...





















"The Still of life"

1 comment:

  1. I like these fantasy animals. Wonder if they feel like velvet?

    ReplyDelete